You might be a home’s first owner, but maybe you’re the fifth. In any case, moving into a home that’s new to you is exciting but also a time to make many decisions. Get prepared before moving day with these helpful hints. Do you have any moving tips you’d like to share? Share them here.
1. Start a notebook for the new house. Jot down items to purchase or activities to handle. Include quotes from movers, contact info for your utilities and others, pictures from magazines for decorating/colors, floor plan with where to place what boxes and furniture, etc. Carry your notebook with you to have data handy when you need it.
2. Sketch a floor plan of your new home when you don’t have blueprints. Record measurements of rooms, windows, closets and doors in your notebook. Include distance of window moldings from corners, floor and ceiling. Use measurements or blueprints to make a “to scale” floor plan and determine your furniture placement for moving day. Your movers will love your organization!
3. Record your account numbers and contact info for all your utilities, magazine subscriptions, services, banks, government agencies, doctors, insurance companies, voter registration and anyone else who sends you mail. Don’t forget to tell your friends and family (at least the ones you want to know!)
5. Take pictures of each room in your house from multiple angles. This will help you remember placement of items as well as what’s in which room. Take an inventory too.
6. Paint rooms, closets and ceilings before the move if existing colors don’t suit you. It’s easier when there are no heavy furnishings to move.
7. Clean and paper the inside of kitchen cupboards and drawers, even closet shelves.
8. Replace floor coverings or clean carpets before furnishings arrive if a house was previously occupied. Your home will be fresh and new for your family! Call your local CarpetsPlus COLORTILE location and they’ll help you with all your flooring needs. Find a location nearest you here – carpetspluscolortile.com.
9. Watch a room’s light. Which window coverings will make the room most usable and comfortable? Many CarpetsPlus COLORTILE dealers carry a selection of Hunter Douglas blinds.
10. Donate furniture, clothing and accessories that no longer suit you. Why pack and move stuff you don’t need when you’re starting life in a new place?
11. Pack essentials like toiletries, supplies for cleaning and tools for small repairs in a box or 5 gallon bucket. Separate the human necessities into a different box or bag. Don’t take the whole toolbox – just hammer, nails, screwdrivers, screws, etc. Be sure you have these at least a day or two before you plan to stay overnight at your new place.
12. Do laundry and clean your old home before you pack up your washing machine and dryer. You and the rest of your family will be glad you did.